Rakvere Piim is the
oldest dairy company in Estonia. Its origins can be traced back one and
a half centuries to 1850, when the dairy of Kunda Manor was started
(later Linnuse factory - now closed).
A number of dairies emerged
in Virumaa (Ubja, Selja, Karitsa et al.). Mainly Virumaa and St.
Petersburg were supplied with quark, sour-cream and butter, but the
goods also reached England and Denmark.
Thanks to their quality,
Virumaa dairy products have received a number of awards throughout
In Rakvere, the dairy industry started in 1893. When
Estonians started to found co-operative dairies, Rakvere Piimaühing was
also founded in 1921. Fifteen years later they built a new and modern
dairy, which now forms part of the current dairy.
In the Soviet
time the dairy produced quark, sour-cream and butter that were sold in
North-Estonia and St. Petersburg.
Until autumn 1950 agricultural
co-operatives existed. Then co-operatives were dissolved and state
butter dairies were established under centres of butter dairies. Rakvere
Inter-Raion Centre of Butter Dairies was situated in Pikk street, at
the corner of Pikk street and Tõusu street, in Rakvere.
to 1958 there were trusts instead of the centres - Kunda, later Linnuse
factory, was under Tallinn Trust.
In 1959 establishment of
industrial combines was started, Rakvere Võitööstus (Rakvere Butter
Dairy) belonged to Kiviõli PTK (Kiviõli Dairy Product Combine).
1961-1964 next reorganisation of combines took place. Rakvere
Piimatoodete Kombinaat (Dairy Product Combine) was established in 1963.
The combine had the following units:
Rakvere butter factory - 3 creameries, 9 dairy points
Maarja factory - 1 creamery, 5 dairy points
3. Vihula butter
factory - 4 creameries, 11 dairy points
4. Kunda butter factory -
2 creameries, 8 dairy points
5. Kadrina factory - 4 creameries, 4
6. Pikevere butter production department - 1
subfactory, 1 creamery, 1 dairy point
7. Viru-Jaagupi butter
production department - 1 creamery, 9 dairy points
butter production department - 1 subfactory, 1 creamery, 2 dairy points
Simuna butter factory - 2 creameries, 1 dairy point
butter production department - 2 creameries
In October 1991 the
company was renamed RAS Rakvere Piimatööstus, in January 1995 AS Rakvere
In May 1995 AS Rakvere Piim was privatised to
1996, Rakvere Piim issued shares to AS Põlva Piim in order to provide
funds for investment. As a result, Rakvere Piimaühistu shareholding in
Rakvere Piim was reduced to 51%, with Põlva Piim holding 46% and
In 1997 Alpamayo Ltd. took over the
privatisation contract of Rakvere Piimaühistu and bought the
shareholding of Põlva Piim in the company. As a result, Alpamayo Ltd.
acquired 87 per cent of the company, the remaining 10 per cent was owned
by Rakvere Piimaühistu and 3 per cent divided between local
In 1998 Rakvere Piim built a new cold store.
1999 Rakvere Piim launched the "Farmi" trademark and started producing
In 2000, the Annikvere cheese factory was approved as
conforming to the European Union standards.
In 2001, Rakvere Piim
grew very rapidly, as other dairies at Jõgeva, Kiiu, Raasiku and
Väike-Marja closed and the Rapla Dairy stopped production of fresh dairy
In 2002 Alpamayo Ltd. increased its shareholding in
Rakvere Piim AS to 100%. The factory at Rakvere was approved under the
Estonian Food Hygiene Law.
On the night of 6th December 2002, a
fire burnt out part of the second floor of the Rakvere factory,
including the staff changing areas and production offices. During 2003,
the areas damaged by the fire were fully restored.
The predecessor of the present Annikvere factory was Vihula dairy
point that was later renamed joint dairy, founded in 1922. At first,
butter was made.
1950 Vihula Dairy Co-operative was renamed Vihula Võitööstus (Butter
Dairy). In addition to butter they started to make light quark, caseine
and light cheese in small quanitites.
In 1960s, production of
Kostroma cheese was started in Vihula factory in addition to butter.
Butter production was finished from 1973.
In 1979 Vihula was
renamed Annikvere (the factory is situated in Annikvere village).
the first years of the reindependent Republic of Estonia Kostroma
cheese was renamed Lahe cheese, because the previous standard of the
cheese belonged to the USSR.
In 1997 Marta cheese with herbs was
developed. In 2003 production of Lahe Light and Lahe Ekstra was started.
June 2000 Annikvere department has the approval according to the
European Union requirements.